[simpits-tech] Now I'm lost.

Chris Brace chris at renovo.co.nz
Thu Jan 1 11:46:28 PST 2004

I think I paid $35CDN for them each. Each board has 8 7segs on them.
They are very simple to code, just send the alpha string you want to
display. They also have a brightness value as well. Quite useful for
day/night operations. Chesters also (at my request) added functionality
to be able to drive each part of each 7 seg seperatley so that you can
make various other odd shapes that are not normal characters (for
example a minus sign). It means that you can display pretty much
anything you want on each segment.
With my autopilot I did all the functions with 2 LED's and 4 encoders (I
think these are $20CDN).
Code was fairly simple, once you get one or two things done the rest is
easy.
My complete radio stack currently has to following all working

Audio select panel (7 switches, 6 single leds)
Com and Nav panel. (2 7seg LEDs, 2 encoders, 6 switches, 3 single led's)
Transponder (1 7seg led, 4 encoders, 7 single leds, 3 switches)
DME (1 7seg led, 3 single led's, two switches)
ADF (1 7seg led, 1 encoder, 3 switches, 1 single led)
Autopilot (2 7seg led's, 4 encoders, 4 single led's and 11 switches)

Switches and single led's use a 0/32/32. there are something like 18 or
19 USB devices.

Now that its finished and having a look at some of the other things
Chester has built I think the next radio's will use his 20x2 displays
with a combined 0/8/8 IKFit. These would be simplfy the cabling and make
it somewhat more like the modern radio stuff. In saying that im very
happy with the end result and there is nothing like using a real
external radio stack as opposed to using the mouse and keyboard. Doesn’t
even come close.

Cheers
Chris.