[simpits-tech] Eject!!!!!!!

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Sep 17 01:26:13 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 02:02 am, you wrote:
> Matt Bailey wrote:
> > I've heard the "indestructibles" are dogs to fly, would the Slow
> > Stick fall
> > into that category?
>
> Nope, it's definately not indestructible. It weighs less than a pound ready
> to go and will hover in a stiff breeze. It took 20 minutes, and finally a
> roll of duct tape, before I could take a picture of it outside. The thing
> kept flying off the hood of the car in a 5 MPH breeze.

	Ah, so it's in the slow/park flyer category, much better.

> > Gene, you fly R/C? Ever flown a CG Tiger? I've got a .40-size one,
> > awesome
> > flying plane. Not an extreme aerobat like an Extra, but a very nice
> > happy
> > medium between that and a trainer. Very smooth,
> > "go-where-you-point-it"
> > plane, especially with a .46 in it.
>
> Me and those slimy, loud things just don't get along. I have a Magnum .40
> that's been run about 3 minutes total. I flew sailplanes, up to 120" open
> class stuff, for years then they built houses on my field and killed that
> idea. Now I'm trying electrics with mixed results. A Sig Rascal managed to
> get the antenna stuck between the rudder and fin on the first flight.
> Blammo. Couldn't get a Zagi to fly for anything. Many, many blammos.
> Retired it, still intact, before I killed more servos. 2 Firebird IIs flew
> great until I put a 5 cell pack in one, spun the prop off, and got it stuck
> in a tree last year. I'll see if it's still there this weekend when I go
> back to the place.

	Ahhh, I LOVE my glow engines. :) I'm just totally sold on all the power you
get in such a small, light package. Definitely very good bang for your buck.
I like the sound and smell too. :) My .46 with its huge stock muffler raises
quite a racket.......I actually ran it without the muffler a few times when I
was testing it in my Extra 300 (no room for the stock muffler, and the
generic Pitts style muffler kept loosening up and shifting around) it sounded
BAD. :)
	Me and my dad actually had a lot of trouble initially, getting the engines
running good and keeping them that way. Of course, we mostly were working
with the new, non-broken-in engine that came with my trainer. I think the
combination of our inexperience and the need to properly break in the engine
was mainly what presented so much trouble (I think we were running it
rather lean). Last year my dad got an RTF trainer, the engine started easily
and we had it running beautifully in just a tank or two. Amazing how much
difference it makes when you actually have a clue as to what you're doing. :)

> The other one is having trim issues for some bizarre
> reason, but I'm going to stick a micro Rx and a pair of HS-50s in it and
> see what I can make it do. The really scary part is that it'll actually be
> lighter with the real radio than stock. Prop ain't coming off this time
> since I'm making an adapter on the lathe that will hold the thing on at
> about mach 3. I still have an original Airtronics Sagitta, Top Flite
> Metrick, and Larry Jolly Prodigy in various states of assembly, need to
> recover my Larry Jolly Prelude (awesome sailplane trainer with a couple of
> minor mods), and my Gentle Lady (w/ v-tail, 3 pc. wing, and flaps) has been
> lost to 3 moves worth of hangar rash. I'm sick of hauling out the high
> start, so I think I'm going to build a Sagitta with a glass fuselage,
> modified tail (no rudder counterbalance, elevator instead of flying stab),
> glassed foam wings with flaps, spoilers, and ailerons, and a geared
> brushless motor. That should keep me entertained ;)

	Ah yes, I have a Gentle Lady. Its problem is not really hangar rash, more
like rough-field and barb-wire-fence rash. :) (I actually made it over the
fence with the main wings, but the horizontal stabilizer caught the
fence......I fixed the plane but it has never been quite right since). My
Tiger, Extra 300, Gentle Lady (well, not sure you could say the Gentle Lady
really "survived" all that well.....), and Cub have actually survived 3
moves, and sitting in a storage building in Arizona for several months (in
fact, the Cub was removed from the building and drug out to our house so I
could fly it). The Extra needs a bit of work, but otherwise the planes are in
remarkably good shape, all things considered. The Cub and Tiger have both
flown since the last move, so evidently nothing really important got broke.
:) The Tiger is actually quite old.......got it for my 14th birthday (1996),
it's survived my early days, all those moves, an engine transplant (from a
4-stroke to a 2-stroke), and (so far) my later, more confident days of low
altitude insanity. :)

	-Matt Bailey