[simpits-tech] How to hook up fans & lights??

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 11:34:40 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Sean Galbraith wrote:

> >Hey, I try!   In fact my wife says I'm very trying!
>
> There might be a link between SimPits and that statement...my wife says
> exactly the same about me!

Mine says a lot worse sometimes...a

> >Isn't that going to be an inductive load - which dimmers hate?
>
> Yep, but as the load is only 22Watts, and the dimmers are a dual porpoise
> dimmer/motor controller it's no big deal.

Ah, the Dolphin 2000

> We use a similar light dimmer
> circuit to control some neat little hi-torque gear motors in monster
> toasters at work and they cope quite well (600 slice/hour toasters, not kid
> stuff, although if you sliced the kids thin enough. But I digress)

I digressed once, but it healed up no problem. Oh, and kids should
be mashed, not sliced.

> >I built a model railway layout for a friends young son last Xmas. I built
> >a pair of custom controllers for that, shoudl have the circuit somewhere.
> >Even though I had to mix with a few 'anoraks' to buy parts, It was fun!
> >http://roy.spang.org/stuff/trains/PC230014.JPG
>
> Nice!  I personally prefer larger scales... like 1:24 finescale garden
> stuff... lets you use cool tools and get big bits of steel and brass laser
> cut <insert Tim-the-toolman grunts here>

On a good day in the shop I can manage a Tim-Grunt, some Norm-Assembully
and even a Mr Spock "that is illogical"

Meanwhile, SWMBO does a fair Scottie impression with "I canna take it!"

Roy.