[simpits-tech] How to hook up fans & lights??

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 08 May 2003 22:21:14 +1200

> > Thanks Roy, you've been so much help.......... :)
>
>Hey, I try!   In fact my wife says I'm very trying!

There might be a link between SimPits and that statement...my wife says
exactly the same about me!

> > a couple for his 767.  They are 230VAC, and for speed control I'm using a
> > simple light dimmer.  Apart from the worry of messing with mains voltage,
> > they are really simple to wire (hey I play with 3 phase, knock you on yer
> > ass power all day, so 230V.. no sweat) just be aware of interference with
> > signal cabling :)
>
>Isn't that going to be an inductive load - which dimmers hate?

Yep, but as the load is only 22Watts, and the dimmers are a dual porpoise
dimmer/motor controller it's no big deal.  We use a similar light dimmer
circuit to control some neat little hi-torque gear motors in monster
toasters at work and they cope quite well (600 slice/hour toasters, not kid
stuff, although if you sliced the kids thin enough. But I digress)

> > using a real simple voltage-regulator based controller to dim them.  A good
> > source of simple voltage control is the model railway crowd.... <no anorak
> > jokes please... I am one of 'em>
>
>I built a model railway layout for a friends young son last Xmas. I built
>a pair of custom controllers for that, shoudl have the circuit somewhere.
>Even though I had to mix with a few 'anoraks' to buy parts, It was fun!
>http://roy.spang.org/stuff/trains/PC230014.JPG

Nice!  I personally prefer larger scales... like 1:24 finescale garden
stuff... lets you use cool tools and get big bits of steel and brass laser
cut <insert Tim-the-toolman grunts here>

Sean.