[simpits-tech] How to hook up fans & lights??

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 11:04:50 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Sean Galbraith wrote:

> Thanks Roy, you've been so much help.......... :)

Hey, I try!   In fact my wife says I'm very trying!

> Speaking fans, we were having a clean-out at work and I found 10 really
> cool little air-con fans, ducted and everything.  So of course I thought;
> simpit use....  I have one in the A-4, one in the Queenair, and Russell has
> a couple for his 767.  They are 230VAC, and for speed control I'm using a
> simple light dimmer.  Apart from the worry of messing with mains voltage,
> they are really simple to wire (hey I play with 3 phase, knock you on yer
> ass power all day, so 230V.. no sweat) just be aware of interference with
> signal cabling :)

Isn't that going to be an inductive load - which dimmers hate?

> For cockpit lighting I'm using 12V DC from a custom wound transformer ( a
> friend makes them as a hobby, but a wall wort will do the same job) and
> using a real simple voltage-regulator based controller to dim them.  A good
> source of simple voltage control is the model railway crowd.... <no anorak
> jokes please... I am one of 'em>

I built a model railway layout for a friends young son last Xmas. I built
a pair of custom controllers for that, shoudl have the circuit somewhere.
Even though I had to mix with a few 'anoraks' to buy parts, It was fun!
http://roy.spang.org/stuff/trains/PC230014.JPG

Roy.