[simpits-tech] How to hook up fans and lights

Rod Dale simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 08 May 2003 15:10:52 +1000

At 10:48 PM 5/7/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Wiring connectors
>
>Here are some wiring questions for U electricians out there.
>
>1.  In order to wire 3.6 V white LED's (three in series at the time) to a 12
>V low amperage power source, do you think standard telephone wire is safe?
>Or will I need a thicker gauge cable?  I have lots of category 5 wire and
>standard phone cable along with RJ11 and RJ45 jacks.  This type of cabling
>would make it easy to remove panels.

That's what I use for LEDs, no problems ! I use Cat 5 cable for my Epic
connections and LEDs but tend to go to heavier gauge for 5 and 12 volt
lighting.

>2.  Does it make sense to create a jack receptacle and a jack receptacle at
>the power source so that one can easily remove the panel or conversely the
>power source?  Or should I connect the wires directly to the power source
>without a jack and simply have the wires extend to the panel.  Obviously with
>one jack there is less to go wrong and less soldering involved.

Yes, it makes it much tidier and is easier for fault finding later. Believe
me, it's easier to disconnect a plug than to desolder a connection when
chasing a problem.