[simpits-tech] How to hook up fans and lights

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 7 May 2003 22:48:19 EDT

Wiring connectors

Here are some wiring questions for U electricians out there.

1.  In order to wire 3.6 V white LED's (three in series at the time) to a 12
V low amperage power source, do you think standard telephone wire is safe?
Or will I need a thicker gauge cable?  I have lots of category 5 wire and
standard phone cable along with RJ11 and RJ45 jacks.  This type of cabling
would make it easy to remove panels.

2.  Does it make sense to create a jack receptacle and a jack receptacle at
the power source so that one can easily remove the panel or conversely the
power source?  Or should I connect the wires directly to the power source
without a jack and simply have the wires extend to the panel.  Obviously with
one jack there is less to go wrong and less soldering involved.

3.  How have people been connecting the Hagstrom keyboard emulator output to
the switches?  In other words, what kind of connectors are you all using?  I
was thinking of using RJ 45 connectors (ethernet jack receptacle at the panel
level and some other multipin connector at the computer.

Thanks for your help

John Li