[simpits-tech] Seat Adjustment

Mark Collins simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:49:41 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2E7B3.89FE45A0

Hey Ed...
I have a similar problem.  My seat is an actual Eurcopter seat for a
helicopter.  This is in my helo pit.  It is designed to slide fore and aft
on some type of rail system.  It looks like it should take some type of
I-Beam.  I have not been able to find anything for this.  I'll be stopping
by my local "Pep Boys" auto parts store to see what they have.  A friend was
going to try and get some folks at work to fabricate something for me...but
they are to busy.  I'll let you know what I find!

Mark
  -----Original Message-----
  From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Ed Henderson
  Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 12:53 AM
  To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
  Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Seat Adjustment

  All right...  I give in.  I guess I am just a pessimist when it comes to
my construction...  trying to save the wear and tear on my ACES II.  I used
the ACES plans from simpits using osb (before I knew the joy of working with
mdf) and hardboard, I am sure it will hold up.  The seat adjustment was also
so that I could attach the seat to the floor and if the position was not
exactly right a month down the road it could easily be repositioned.  I feel
that it needs to be secured to the floor cause it is a little aft top heavy
and I know that my 10 year old will be using the headrest for a handle to
get in and out.

  BTW :-)  before anybody hits me with "the F/A-18 doesn't use the ACES II"
I could not find any plans for the NACES, and I was too impatient to design
it myself.  I will however be starting on a NACES replica when the cockpit
is finished.

  Ed

  Keenan Akin wrote:

    Ed,

    Why are you concerned about stepping on the seat?  That's how everyone I
know gets in and out of an F/A-18.  Holding the windshield bow, right foot
on the seat, left foot on the floor, right foot on the floor, sit down.

    Keenan
    `

    Ed Henderson wrote:

      Yea I know, but I am trying to avoid stepping in and out on the seat
so I wanted to have about 8 inches in front of the seat to step in and then
slide forward.  I was planning on a pedal adjustment as well, but I have not
thought about how to do that yet.

      Gene Buckle wrote:

Ejection seats don't adjust like that Ed. :)  You need to adjust the
pedals instead.  The only adjustment the seat can make is up-down with
about a 5 or 6 inch range.

g.