[simpits-tech] New file uploaded to Simpits by .

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:27:12 -0500

On Thursday 19 June 2003 03:45 am, you wrote:
> Matt Bailey wrote:
> > Then a Manta Mirage comes along and blows EVERYONE'S doors off. ;)
>
> Not mine, I don't have doors ;)
>
> I just looked around for some info and it looks like the thing is a hair
> underpowered (300 HP? My Z28 has more than that by a good margin) and
> geared to be fast, not quick. As my bike sits, set up for Texas World
> Speedway's 1.9 mile course, she should do 10.5 1/4 miles. Set up for the
> strip more like 10.2s. On a road track the Manta would have to be able to
> put at least a second on me down the front straight because I'm going to
> eat it for lunch through the turns out back, especially the horseshoe. On
> the street it's meat. I can get to 60 in about 2.7 seconds. It'll be loud
> and on one wheel, attracting every cop in the time zone, but I can do it ;)
> Street races are over by 100 MPH unless one or more of the participants
> have less brain cells that CCs, so I doubt it could take me there, either.
>
> I don't, however, want to race it from El Paso to Lubbock or some other
> such long, flat, boring chunk of high speed nothingness.

	Yeah I read somewhere of at least one car that used a 300HP engine, although
it's a kit car and people use a variety of engines in it (some even in the
400+ displacement range I believe). Plus, it's only like 1,500lbs...........
	I figured the bike would still accelerate better initially, but goodbye on
the straights. :) One owner says his car has been clocked at 200MPH and they
estimate it would do 230 if anyone were brave enough to try it. :)
	10.5 1/4 miles, I would guess a tricked out Mirage could beat that but not
sure.
	As cool as bikes are, for some reason I've just never been inclined to get
one (in fact I've never even driven one myself, just rode a few times as a
kid). Maybe if I got some serious driving time on one I would feel
differently, but I just like having something substantial around me, I gotta
have 4 wheels. :) Have you seen the inside of a Mirage? MAN it looks like an
F1 racer!
	What I REALLY want is a Z. :)

	-Matt Bailey

PS We can take this to chat anytime............ ;)