[simpits-tech] Maplin Suck

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:07:52 -0400

> > Sounds about like the fun I've been having. I need a few odd parts for
the
> > new bike, mainly a pair of 12x100mm bolts. I can get all the 12x90 and
> > 12x110 bolts I want, even in PC8.8, but these have to be exactly 100mm
long
> > so they don't go through the cylinder head. Cost from Kawasaki: $8 each.
> > Anyone in town have 'em? Yeah, right. Grrr...

A while back I broke a bolt in the lab. Little thing, about 1 1/2" long,
used for holding the cathode to its mount. At first I was pissed at the last
guy who was working on it because he didn't order any spares. Then I ordered
the new bolt - $22 a pop. Oh, did I mention they were ceramic? That makes a
difference, too. ;)
Oh, and naturally that didn't include S&H, and we had to get it next day
air. Bleh.

BTW, for future reference, ceramic bolts can't handle torque at ALL. Get
them finger-tight, MAYBE a little touch with the wrench, but NOTHING MORE!
Or you'll find yourself out another $20-30. ;)

Brian