[simpits-tech] Maplin Suck

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:33:20 -0500

Brian Sikkema wrote:

> A while back I broke a bolt in the lab. Little thing, about 1 1/2"
> long,
> used for holding the cathode to its mount. At first I was pissed at
> the last
> guy who was working on it because he didn't order any spares. Then I
> ordered
> the new bolt - $22 a pop. Oh, did I mention they were ceramic? That
> makes a difference, too. ;)
> Oh, and naturally that didn't include S&H, and we had to get it next
> day
> air. Bleh.
>
> BTW, for future reference, ceramic bolts can't handle torque at ALL.
> Get
> them finger-tight, MAYBE a little touch with the wrench, but NOTHING
> MORE!
> Or you'll find yourself out another $20-30. ;)

Oh screw a bunch of that noise! I'll stick with stainless and maybe titanium
with a shedload of antisieze all over it ;) I don't even want to think about
the cost, though. Need to find a source that doesn't mention motorcycles or
aircraft on the webpage. Merely suggesting that one uses the bolts for
either application increases the price about 200%.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net