[simpits-tech] F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:

kelly Mclaren simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 19:35:35 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_2BuvJnfwEswMOsC//V5H9Q)

F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:Wow, that rocks man.

Marc..
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Marv De Beque
  To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
  Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 2:42 PM
  Subject: [simpits-tech] F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:

  Well, after a lot of detail I have the first FULLY WORKING prototype with the control box completed.

  I have finally flown it in Falcon 4 and was a little concerned about the roll axis since it seems to take a lot of yanking to get full deflection on the DVM, but I was wrong, it flies like a dream!  This baby rocks!

  I had it bench mounted so it is not in the actual position it would be in a cockpit.  Still, it is everything I had hoped for and more.  It is remarkably stable and accurate.  It seems easy enough to steer the aircraft where you want it with precision.  It takes some getting used to since the stick forces are much higher than a standard PC joystick, but welcome to reality.  I am very pleased.

  The external control box allows each axis (roll and pitch) to be adjusted for trim and gain.  Gain can be either user adjusted by a knob for each axis or a center switch can be activated to place the gain in a calibrated state so the acting forces required for full defection are the same as the real aircraft (F-16).

  I mounted the Cougar's base PCB right into the control box.   This way I don't need the base.  Everything just plugs into the back, including the rudders and TQS.  That may be the right way to do it for production since it solves some logistical problems and it is a whole lot cleaner and robust.

  I am only going to have a few hours to play, ah, I mean test, this puppy.  It ships Monday for beta testing.  Sorry guys, the US Air Force has asked for the first shot at it and I see it as my duty to give it up.  :-/  I am not joking, they really are going to evaluate it this month.

  Meanwhile, I will be getting accurate cost quotes together from machine shops and I need to speak to a bunch of attorneys regarding my patent rights.

  I know you guys are drooling for price and availability, but there are things that need to be done first.  The good news is that the dream is still alive and kicking!

  You can see a picture at:

  http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/F16_SideSick.JPG

  Regards,

  Marv

--Boundary_(ID_2BuvJnfwEswMOsC//V5H9Q)

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:</TITLE>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Wow, that rocks man.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Marc..</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=mdebeque@woh.rr.com href="mailto:mdebeque@woh.rr.com">Marv De
  Beque</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=simpits-tech@simpits.org
  href="mailto:simpits-tech@simpits.org">simpits-tech@simpits.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, June 01, 2003 2:42 PM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [simpits-tech] F-16 Force
  Sensitive Side Stick Update:</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=Monaco><TT>Well, after a lot of detail I have the
  first FULLY WORKING prototype with the control box completed. &nbsp;<BR><BR>I
  have finally flown it in Falcon 4 and was a little concerned about the roll
  axis since it seems to take a lot of yanking to get full deflection on the
  DVM, but I was wrong, it flies like a dream! &nbsp;This baby rocks!<BR><BR>I
  had it bench mounted so it is not in the actual position it would be in a
  cockpit. &nbsp;Still, it is everything I had hoped for and more. &nbsp;It is
  remarkably stable and accurate. &nbsp;It seems easy enough to steer the
  aircraft where you want it with precision. &nbsp;It takes some getting used to
  since the stick forces are much higher than a standard PC joystick, but
  welcome to reality. &nbsp;I am very pleased.<BR><BR>The external control box
  allows each axis (roll and pitch) to be adjusted for trim and gain. &nbsp;Gain
  can be either user adjusted by a knob for each axis or a center switch can be
  activated to place the gain in a calibrated state so the acting forces
  required for full defection are the same as the real aircraft (F-16).<BR><BR>I
  mounted the Cougar's base PCB right into the control box. &nbsp;&nbsp;This way
  I don't need the base. &nbsp;Everything just plugs into the back, including
  the rudders and TQS. &nbsp;That may be the right way to do it for production
  since it solves some logistical problems and it is a whole lot cleaner and
  robust.<BR><BR>I am only going to have a few hours to play, ah, I mean test,
  this puppy. &nbsp;It ships Monday for beta testing. &nbsp;Sorry guys, the US
  Air Force has asked for the first shot at it and I see it as my duty to give
  it up. &nbsp;:-/ &nbsp;I am not joking, they really are going to evaluate it
  this month.<BR><BR>Meanwhile, I will be getting accurate cost quotes together
  from machine shops and I need to speak to a bunch of attorneys regarding my
  patent rights. &nbsp;<BR><BR>I know you guys are drooling for price and
  availability, but there are things that need to be done first. &nbsp;The good
  news is that the dream is still alive and kicking! &nbsp;<BR><BR>You can see a
  picture
  at:<BR><BR>http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/F16_SideSick.JPG<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Marv</TT></FONT>
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_2BuvJnfwEswMOsC//V5H9Q)--