[simpits-tech] F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:48:56 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C32876.D6754F10

F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:Great job Marv!  Congratulations on a super job.  Good luck with the
USAF.

Craig R.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org [mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Marv De Beque
  Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 2:42 PM
  To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
  Subject: [simpits-tech] F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:

  Well, after a lot of detail I have the first FULLY WORKING prototype with the control box completed.

  I have finally flown it in Falcon 4 and was a little concerned about the roll axis since it seems to take a
lot of yanking to get full deflection on the DVM, but I was wrong, it flies like a dream!  This baby rocks!

  I had it bench mounted so it is not in the actual position it would be in a cockpit.  Still, it is
everything I had hoped for and more.  It is remarkably stable and accurate.  It seems easy enough to steer the
aircraft where you want it with precision.  It takes some getting used to since the stick forces are much
higher than a standard PC joystick, but welcome to reality.  I am very pleased.

  The external control box allows each axis (roll and pitch) to be adjusted for trim and gain.  Gain can be
either user adjusted by a knob for each axis or a center switch can be activated to place the gain in a
calibrated state so the acting forces required for full defection are the same as the real aircraft (F-16).

  I mounted the Cougar's base PCB right into the control box.   This way I don't need the base.  Everything
just plugs into the back, including the rudders and TQS.  That may be the right way to do it for production
since it solves some logistical problems and it is a whole lot cleaner and robust.

  I am only going to have a few hours to play, ah, I mean test, this puppy.  It ships Monday for beta testing.
Sorry guys, the US Air Force has asked for the first shot at it and I see it as my duty to give it up.  :-/  I
am not joking, they really are going to evaluate it this month

  Meanwhile, I will be getting accurate cost quotes together from machine shops and I need to speak to a bunch
of attorneys regarding my patent rights.

  I know you guys are drooling for price and availability, but there are things that need to be done first.
The good news is that the dream is still alive and kicking!

  You can see a picture at:

  http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/F16_SideSick.JPG

  Regards,

  Marv

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C32876.D6754F10

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:</TITLE>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D280574523-01062003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Great=20
job Marv!&nbsp; Congratulations on a super job.&nbsp; Good luck with the =

USAF.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D280574523-01062003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D280574523-01062003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Craig=20
R.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org =
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]<B>On=20
  Behalf Of</B> Marv De Beque<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, June 01, 2003 2:42 =

  PM<BR><B>To:</B> simpits-tech@simpits.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> =
[simpits-tech]=20
  F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT=20
  face=3DMonaco><TT>Well, after a lot of detail I have the first FULLY =
WORKING=20
  prototype with the control box completed. &nbsp;<BR><BR>I have finally =
flown=20
  it in Falcon 4 and was a little concerned about the roll axis since it =
seems=20
  to take a lot of yanking to get full deflection on the DVM, but I was =
wrong,=20
  it flies like a dream! &nbsp;This baby rocks!<BR><BR>I had it bench =
mounted so=20
  it is not in the actual position it would be in a cockpit. =
&nbsp;Still, it is=20
  everything I had hoped for and more. &nbsp;It is remarkably stable and =

  accurate. &nbsp;It seems easy enough to steer the aircraft where you =
want it=20
  with precision. &nbsp;It takes some getting used to since the stick =
forces are=20
  much higher than a standard PC joystick, but welcome to reality. =
&nbsp;I am=20
  very pleased.<BR><BR>The external control box allows each axis (roll =
and=20
  pitch) to be adjusted for trim and gain. &nbsp;Gain can be either user =

  adjusted by a knob for each axis or a center switch can be activated =
to place=20
  the gain in a calibrated state so the acting forces required for full=20
  defection are the same as the real aircraft (F-16).<BR><BR>I mounted =
the=20
  Cougar's base PCB right into the control box. &nbsp;&nbsp;This way I =
don't=20
  need the base. &nbsp;Everything just plugs into the back, including =
the=20
  rudders and TQS. &nbsp;That may be the right way to do it for =
production since=20
  it solves some logistical problems and it is a whole lot cleaner and=20
  robust.<BR><BR>I am only going to have a few hours to play, ah, I mean =
test,=20
  this puppy. &nbsp;It ships Monday for beta testing. &nbsp;Sorry guys, =
the US=20
  Air Force has asked for the first shot at it and I see it as my duty =
to give=20
  it up. &nbsp;:-/ &nbsp;I am not joking, they really are going to =
evaluate it=20
  this month<BR><BR>Meanwhile, I will be getting accurate cost quotes =
together=20
  from machine shops and I need to speak to a bunch of attorneys =
regarding my=20
  patent rights. &nbsp;<BR><BR>I know you guys are drooling for price =
and=20
  availability, but there are things that need to be done first. =
&nbsp;The good=20
  news is that the dream is still alive and kicking! &nbsp;<BR><BR>You =
can see a=20
  picture=20
  =
at:<BR><BR>http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/F16_SideSick.JPG<BR><BR>=