[simpits-tech] Motion...

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:53:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Joseph Fagner wrote:

> Think about this for a minute (granted I realize this is probably overly
> simplistic and the math is infinitely more complex):  Most software out
> there has the 4 axis of data (not to be confused with the axis of evil)
> one might need for motion.  Couldn't one just write some software to
> read this data and translate that to motion?  The data to which I refer
> is (1) pitch and (2) roll  (X and Y axis); via your artificial horizon
> instrument.  (3) Yaw (Z axis), via your compass and (4) altitude via the
> altimeter.

If only it were that simple!  Think about it, the motion platform doesn't
sit at your current pitch/roll angle - when it can, it will be pretty much
level. The trick is to simulate rapid accelerations by moving the platform
in the appropriate diection and then _gradually_ (so you don't notice)
have the platform return to its neutral postion (washout).

There are many way to do this - and it ain't that easy!

Roy.