[simpits-tech] Motion...

Gordan Sikic simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:16:46 +0100

  Hi,

Joseph Fagner wrote:

>Think about this for a minute (granted I realize this is probably overly
>simplistic and the math is infinitely more complex):  Most software out
>there has the 4 axis of data (not to be confused with the axis of evil)
>one might need for motion.  Couldn't one just write some software to
>read this data and translate that to motion?  The data to which I refer
>is (1) pitch and (2) roll  (X and Y axis); via your artificial horizon
>instrument.  (3) Yaw (Z axis), via your compass and (4) altitude via the
>altimeter.

It is not that simple.

You need angular rates as well as accelerations. Making motion platform
based on  attitude of the AC would be waste, beleive me. Generally
speaking, with the motion platform one hopes to imitate (inertial)
accelerations that pilot feels. Simple example acceleration on the
runway during take-off. During that period pilot feels sustained
acceleration on his back. The sense of acceleration is imitated by
rotating the platform slightly backwards, so the weight of the  "pilot"
generates the force on the back. That shift is sudden, and later the
platform is slowly returned to middle position. Thus, imitation of just
one linear acceleration is achieved completly different type of motion
(sudden rotation, followed by slow return to neutral position).

Other than this, you should think of something completly different:
Motion platfors are _very_ power hungry, you might easilly end up with
facility which draws couple of  tens of KW of power.
Yet another problem is safety. Think of the following: it is very easy
to start the filre in the chitchen with electrical oven of just couple
KW (or even less), and here you are dealing with much more powerfull
equpment.

Yet yet additional problem are foundations, because something must
support complete construction, and take over complete forces and moments
generated by themoving platform.

There are many problems, but this doesn't mean that there is no sollution :)
If you really want to make motion platform, do read apropriate chapter
in "flight simulation", book that is mentioned few days before. It is
excelent reading, but be warned that it does not provide us with
sollutions, but presents the problems in very concise way, and just
guides towards the solution. But in any way it is a "must have" book.
I've been reading it from the cover to cover and all over again many
times :)

Also check web for motion platforms where you will find some standards
 you should achieve. one url is www.fokercntroll.com, and the other is
(if I recall correctly, I'm off line now) www.mug.com.

Personally I'll take following approach:
Generaly, visual system provides low frequency sensations, and use
motion (vibrations to be specific) for the high frequency sensations
(like tyrbulence, or vibrations, ...). This is not as good as well made
motion system coupled with nice visualisation, but it is _much_ better
than wrongly made motion platform, and in any case  infintelly safer.

At the end one true story:
(I don't know the details, what kind of  AC, how many degrees of freedom
in motion platform, nor how many pilots, ... :)
There was a project of evaluating different algorithms for driving
motion platform, and within the project many (profesional) pilots were
flying on the simulatior, every flight with different algorithm applied.
Needles to say that pilots didn't know which algorithm was to be applied
for any of the flights. After every try, they were asked to describe in
words how they felt, and to place a numerical mark. After the data were
analysed, it turned out that many pilots (more than few, anyway) said
that the best results were achieved with algorithm "number 5". The funny
thing was that algorithm in question corresponded to the case where the
motion platform didn'mtmove at all!  Of course, pilots didn;t know that
fact while "flying"