[simpits-tech] Throttle Arm base dimensions

Chris Crowley simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 06:57:32 -0500

Hello again,
I wanted to clarify something since it is critical to my throttle install. I
took the simpits cockpit drawing of the block 50 and have it imported into
turbo cad so I can measure stuff. The thickness of the gear measures at .32"
which is about 8mm. This checks with Martins measurement (woohoo). The
"exposed/visible" portion of the gear (looking down at panel) on this
drawing is about 3.49" which is 88mm. Martin thought the gap in the panel
for the gear to fit through looked to be about 100 mm. This leaves about 1/8
between the top of the panel and the gear on either side.

Given the 88, I calculated that the center of the gear is about 1.8"
(45.61mm) below the top of the panel. This is as I feared. The center of the
cougar's throttle arm rotation is about 1 3/8  below the top of the throttle
box. Add a half inch on top for the panel MDF, and this installation will be
tighter than a gnats ass stretched over a bass drum.

Going to have to weigh whether I build a gear box or not. If not the darn
thing runs under about 7 instrument panels and I will need low profile
switches.

I love retrofit.......... Any thoughts/recommendations?

Chris Crowley