[simpits-tech] Wiring of POT and EPL

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:31:26 -0800 (PST)

Martin, there is _no_ such thing as a DC synchro.  DC cannot provide the
sine waves that the device _requires_ to operate.  The only way you could
even think of it working is if you used a high frequency square wave and
all that is is AC with "edges".  At 60Hz AC a synchro will function, but
it "buzzes" and gets warm very quickly.  At straight DC it would probably
flash one of the six internal coils to slag.

A synchro functions by moving a stator to a "null" point.  This null point
occurs when two sine waves cancel each other out.  For this to happen, the
input current to the device MUST be AC.  There is no way around it.  This
is how a synchro resolver or reciever work.  A syncro transmitter actually
changes the null point when you manually rotate the stator.  For example,
you can hook a resolver directly to a transmitter (with the 400Hz AC
supply in the middle) and watch the shaft of the resolver move in perfect
synchronization with the stator (shaft) in the transmitter as you turn it.

Do you have a picture of this device you have?  I'd like to see it.

tnx.

g.