[simpits-tech] This is WAY too cool

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Wed Dec 31 03:28:48 PST 2003

One thing everyone building their own pit needs is access to someone who
flies the real thing. Even better is having one for a father :) I suddenly
remembered that Dad brought me some of the training posters for the EMB-145
and CRJ-700 a while back, so I went searching. Found 'em :) I now have
prints of every interesting panel in Dad's office, including examples of
every screen possible on the MFDs and EICAS.

There are exactly 2 mechanical gauges on a CRJ-700 main inst. panel: the
chronographs. Everything else is done with CRTs. 7 of 'em. 6 for the EICAS,
MFDs, etc. are the same size, then there's a little square one in the center
for the backup art. horiz. The AP on the brow panel is vastly different than
what I was planning, but it shouldn't be too tough to figure out. The
overhead is nearly completely useless since it's mainly systems for keeping
the whining baggage quiet ;) The radios are totally different, though. More
like an MFD straight out of a fighter with one set of knobs for the entire
stack. Pretty cool. There's another radio below that MFD that looks mostly
conventional, could be a backup. Next time he's in town I'm going to take
him someplace with large tables, spread everything out, and take notes while
I get him to explain everything in detail, as well as noting how often he or
his FO actually messes with it.

The 145 prints are apparently either 1:1 or very, very close. These could,
with very little work, be cut out and laminated to a suitable plate and
mounted on a framework to give the appearance of a complete, full, ready to
leap into the sky front office. The center console/throttle quadrant,
breaker panel, and a few other small panels are at 100% and the panel is
probably 60%. One solid measurements bewteen, say, the left edge of the
capt. left tube to the right edge of the FO right tube would be enough to
rescale them to 100%.

He got these a little over 3 years ago when he was still in the training
department (before the AL ind. went in the wet, swirling round file), but I
have a sneaking feeling that he still has access to all of it. So I'm going
to see if he can get me new 100% copies of every panel in every plane in the
fleet:

Saab 340B
ATR42/72 (cockpits are the same)
ERJ-135,-140, and -145
CRJ-700 (the overgrown Lear ;)

He's flown all of the above, and I've flown the Saab, so we should be able
to figure out where everything goes ;)

If I can figure out how to turn paper this size into bits and bytes I'll
post images of the posters.With enough persuasion I could be convinced to go
see if Kinkos or similar can copy them if anyone wants a copy.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net