[simpits-tech] Radeon vs. GeForce

Ido Dekkers idekkers at clicksoftware.com
Thu Dec 18 12:55:54 PST 2003

Don't know if it will happen but ATI announced that they will stop making
their own card in the near future.
And if you want something that will support the next MSFS - I'm pretty sure
it will need DX9.

Ido

             "Bubba"
             <mysticz28 at swbell
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  "Simulator Cockpit tech list"
             simpits-tech-boun         <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
             ces at simpits.org                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
             12/18/2003 12:42          Re: [simpits-tech] Radeon vs.
                                       GeForce

             Please respond to
             Simulator Cockpit
                 tech list
             <simpits-tech at sim
                 pits.org>

Matt Bailey wrote:
> Well, keep in mind how the FX5200 and 9600 might compare in their
> respective
> product lines. Ido mentioned the 9600 is a bit higher in the ATI line
> than
> the FX5200 is in nVidia. That said, it seems ATI has taken the lead
> recently
> as far as raw speed is concerned, although I believe the ATI's run a
> bit
> higher in price, no?

Depends on who made the card. The GeForce I had was mady by PNY, but the
Radeon is an actual ATI. The 9600SE is $130 just about anywhere you look,
but you can get an FX5200 for $65-$100. 33% more money for 38% more speed
sounds like good math ;)

> I need to upgrade my video card soon (still using a GeForce 2!!!) not
> sure if
> I will go with ATI or nVidia. It used to be hands-down nVidia but the
> ATI's
> are looking more attractive nowadays. Still, nVidia has a
> considerably better
> track record as far as driver quality is concerned, and historically
> have
> been faster.....it will be interesting to see if they catch up to ATI
> in a
> bit. nVidia also has excellent Linux support (a Big Deal for me).
> Hmmmm......

Until I got this Radeon I was a diehard nVidia man. ATI wasn't even a
choice
until I did some homework. No idea about the Linux stuff, though. I've only
used Linux twice, once in a routing box and currently in a hardware router.
Shortly I'll be getting a dual Xeon machine to use as a webserver, so I
think I'll try Linux again. What's the easiest version to use? It needs a
GUI, too.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net