[simpits-tech] Radeon vs. GeForce

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Thu Dec 18 04:42:33 PST 2003

Matt Bailey wrote:
> Well, keep in mind how the FX5200 and 9600 might compare in their
> respective
> product lines. Ido mentioned the 9600 is a bit higher in the ATI line
> than
> the FX5200 is in nVidia. That said, it seems ATI has taken the lead
> recently
> as far as raw speed is concerned, although I believe the ATI's run a
> bit
> higher in price, no?

Depends on who made the card. The GeForce I had was mady by PNY, but the
Radeon is an actual ATI. The 9600SE is $130 just about anywhere you look,
but you can get an FX5200 for $65-$100. 33% more money for 38% more speed
sounds like good math ;)

> I need to upgrade my video card soon (still using a GeForce 2!!!) not
> sure if
> I will go with ATI or nVidia. It used to be hands-down nVidia but the
> ATI's
> are looking more attractive nowadays. Still, nVidia has a
> considerably better
> track record as far as driver quality is concerned, and historically
> have
> been faster.....it will be interesting to see if they catch up to ATI
> in a
> bit. nVidia also has excellent Linux support (a Big Deal for me).
> Hmmmm......

Until I got this Radeon I was a diehard nVidia man. ATI wasn't even a choice
until I did some homework. No idea about the Linux stuff, though. I've only
used Linux twice, once in a routing box and currently in a hardware router.
Shortly I'll be getting a dual Xeon machine to use as a webserver, so I
think I'll try Linux again. What's the easiest version to use? It needs a
GUI, too.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net