[simpits-tech] PT Quest about MIG29

Mike Brogley mikebrogley at ieee.org
Sat Dec 6 11:24:06 PST 2003

Ah, the power of Google.

In addition to any previous MiG-29s that the U.S. government acquired
through "other means" and not publicly acknowledged (plus any the German
government have over here from those they inherited from the East German
airforce), in 1997 the U.S. bought 21 nuclear delivery capable MiG-29s
from Moldova so they would not go to any country whose name starts with
the letter "I". From the Federation of American Scientists web site:

    The US Department of Defense of the United States of America and the
    Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Moldova reached an agreement
    to implement the Cooperative Threat Reduction accord signed on June
    23, 1997, in Moldova. The Pentagon pounced on the planes after
    learning Iran had inspected the jets and expressed an interest in
    adding them to their inventory. Although Iran already flies the
    less-capable Fulcrum A, it doesn't own any of the more advanced
    C-models. Of the 21 Fulcrums the United States bought, 14 are the
    frontline Fulcrum C's, which contain an active radar jammer in its
    spine, six older A's and one B-model two-seat trainer. This
    agreement authorized the United States Government to purchase
    nuclear-capable MiG-29 fighter planes from the Government of
    Moldova. This is a joint effort by both Governments to ensure that
    these dual-use military weapons do not fall into the hands of rogue
    states. From Oct. 20 to Nov. 2, 1997, loadmasters and aerial port
    experts squeezed two MiGs apiece, sans wings and tails, into the
    cargo holds of C-17 Globemaster III transports from Charleston Air
    Force Base, S.C. The Charleston airlifters delivered the MiGs to the
    National Air Intelligence Center at Wright-Patterson AFB near
    Dayton, Ohio. If the NAIC can discover how the Fulcrum works, Air
    Force pilots might gain an edge if they face the Fulcrum in future
    combat.

Direct link:

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/airdef/mig-29.htm

I remember duelling leaks at the time, with the dissimilar aircraft
training community salivating over an entire squadrom of MiG-29s for
adversary Red-Flag/Top-Gun work, and the bureaucrats stomping their feet
firmly saying no way will we fly these ourselves. There is obviously a
supportability issue - though the Luftwaffe seems to not be having many
problems. I'm sure the MiG folks would love a US-currency spares and
support contract from the U.S. DoD.
--
Mike