[simpits-tech] Dual Differential Toe Brakes.. How? (I'm stuck!)

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:53:39 -0500

Bubba wrote:

> Matt Bailey wrote:
> >
> > Not sure I understand what you mean. All you'd need to do is position
> > the sensor so the pedal doesn't contact it until near the end of its
> > range.
>
> I thought you were talking about a purely hydraulic sensor (hydrostatic load
> cell). My plan is to put plain old pots on the end of the slave cylinder
> output pushrod, probably with a sliding linkage that allows for imbalance.
> Or maybe a pair of slaves connected to a common pot so that both brakes move
> at the same time (left capt. and left FO, for example). My joystick setup
> will mainly just let me adjust the force required to operate it by adjusting
> a needle valve in the hydraulic circuit. I'd love to put load cells on it,
> but that takes a bunch more cash than I want to throw at a joystick right
> now ;)

	Ah ok, that sounds better. :) Thought maybe you were lining the pot
directly to the pedals and just using the hydraulics for feedback. I
assume by "imbalance" you mean you'd set up the linkage to the pot to
get a non-linear response? Like, a sharper response curve as the pedal
nears its extent of travel?

> > Keep us posted. :)
>
> I'll be a while. I have a few other projects with higher priority. First is
> a bunkbed for the boys. Fortunately one won't be here until about
> Thanksgiving so I have a little time ;) Another is a carbon fiber tank "bag"
> for the Ninja. The Buell wants her tankbag back and it's a nightmare to
> swap. After that is a new desk... ok, somewhat cockpit shaped, that will
> hold all the cool joystick stuff I want to build. Gotta be able to do "real"
> work, too, unfortunately.

	Heh......college has kept me pretty busy. I don't have the room for a
cockpit right now anyway (still living at home) but I'd like to start
working on some "concept" stuff sometime, like gauges, programming,
visuals, etc. Money is the main obstacle, with time running a close
second. :) After I graduate next spring I'll probably go to a full time
schedule at work, with flight instruction and job hunting taking up most
of my spare time. :/ But I do like my current job, and once I get a
flying job, it will all be worth it. :)

	-Matt Bailey