[simpits-tech] Dual Differential Toe Brakes.. How? (I'm stuck!)

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:06:17 -0500

Bubba wrote:

> Matt Bailey wrote:
> > I've wondered about the possibility of using pressure sensors for toe
> > brakes before. In little general aviation planes (and perhaps bigger
> > stuff) you really don't have any feedback from the brakes (aside from
> > the built-in springs) until you get almost to the extent of the
> > pedal's
> > travel. It's comparable to the response you get from bicycle
> > brakes.....a lot of "dead zone", then the brakes sorta "hit a wall"
> > and
> > braking is controlled mainly by pressure, with very little actual
> > movement. It seems like pressure sensors would be ideal.
>
> That's easy, small master cylinders, large slave cylinders, and HUGE return
> springs. Maybe even pneumatic instead of hydraulic. The problem with
> pressure sensors is complexity. You'd have to figure out a way to ignore
> values below a certain level before actually sending anything to the
> computer.

	Not sure I understand what you mean. All you'd need to do is position
the sensor so the pedal doesn't contact it until near the end of its
range.

> I think I'm going to make a set of hydraulic controls just for fun.
<snip>

	Keep us posted. :)

	-Matt Bailey