[simpits-tech] Dual Differential Toe Brakes.. How? (I'm stuck!)

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:18:57 -0500

Matt Bailey wrote:
> I've wondered about the possibility of using pressure sensors for toe
> brakes before. In little general aviation planes (and perhaps bigger
> stuff) you really don't have any feedback from the brakes (aside from
> the built-in springs) until you get almost to the extent of the
> pedal's
> travel. It's comparable to the response you get from bicycle
> brakes.....a lot of "dead zone", then the brakes sorta "hit a wall"
> and
> braking is controlled mainly by pressure, with very little actual
> movement. It seems like pressure sensors would be ideal.

That's easy, small master cylinders, large slave cylinders, and HUGE return
springs. Maybe even pneumatic instead of hydraulic. The problem with
pressure sensors is complexity. You'd have to figure out a way to ignore
values below a certain level before actually sending anything to the
computer.

I think I'm going to make a set of hydraulic controls just for fun. Just
have to figure out a good place to put 'em. There's not enough room in this
tiny office :( Suppose I could just move the computer into the bird room.
Just have to learn to deal with parrots randomly landing on my head
demanding attention ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net