[simpits-tech] Dual Differential Toe Brakes.. How? (I'm stuck!)

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:02:15 -0500

I've wondered about the possibility of using pressure sensors for toe
brakes before. In little general aviation planes (and perhaps bigger
stuff) you really don't have any feedback from the brakes (aside from
the built-in springs) until you get almost to the extent of the pedal's
travel. It's comparable to the response you get from bicycle
brakes.....a lot of "dead zone", then the brakes sorta "hit a wall" and
braking is controlled mainly by pressure, with very little actual
movement. It seems like pressure sensors would be ideal.

Actually, I used a pretty decent pair of pedals at school (I think they
are PFC) and they seem to be using springs (or perhaps bungees) and
potentiometers that work through the entire (or at least most of the)
range of the pedal's travel....it feels totally weird and unrealistic.

	-Matt Bailey