[simpits-tech] Rack mount Computer System

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:27:52 +1200

At 00:27 10/08/03 +0100, you wrote:
>On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Joseph Fagner wrote:
>
> > I heard welding aluminum is a pain in the ass since you pretty much have to
> > TIG weld it.  I wouldn't know first hand, a guy at work says MIG welding a
> > cinch, but TIG welding is another story.  If you do do it, let me know what
> > it would cost for you to fabricate one versus me doing it myself from your
> > plans (if you care to share them of course).  Keep in mind I, too, would
> > have to purchase a welding (not opposed to doing that) and the
> materials.  I
> > would really like to try it myself if it's possible to do as a beginner.
> >

>MIG welding is a breeze, it doesn't get any easier.
>
>You can weld aluminium with a MIG set provided you use alu wire and (I
>think) Argon gas.

Yahoo!!! Something I know about!
MIG is easy, bt yes you *must* use Argon, not the more common and cheaper
Argosheild, it just don't work, and use Ali wire (which you probably guessd)

I would personally use TIG, it does a much much neater job, and as long as
you use the same grade filler as the parent material it's a piece of
cake.  Just make sure that the welding equipment is setup for Ali, on ours
you need to set reverse polarity, and crank the starting (or
striking...depends on the manufacturer) voltage a heap.  Apart from that
it's TIG101 stuff, clean surfaces, clamped tightly and away you go :)

Remember, Arc and MIG are for pigs, TIG is for Artists ;-)

Sean.