[simpits-tech] Hello

Chris Woodul simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:34:39 -0500

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I need to clarify a point or
two...only the F-111F cockpit is being converted to a sim at this time and I
think thats what the original thread refered to. The second pit will be the
F-16C, which will be a real cockpit section ( will include part of the
intake and complete radome...cuase I also want it to be a work of art on the
outside)
I plead a bigtime back seat to most of the computer literate folks on this
site, but I think I am very good at hardware, that being said, this whole
site is full of great hardware( and software) folks...I mean everyone here
has that desire to sit in a cockpit and go somewhere in it.
The first cockpit I got , the F-86L was an actual simulator..minus the nasty
old computers that ran it. So I had to spend lots of time hooking up at
least the lights and such and I spent many a night sittign in it dreaming of
ways to make it run. This was a long time ago and computers then were really
pathetic, and I didnt even own a computer until 1997 when I met Paul Miller
at an airshow at one of my public displays. I then found the internet and
instantly found www.ejectionsite.com and met its webmaster who is a good
friend of mine now. He introed me to Matt Wietlespach and the rest is
history. Becuase of Epic and the wisdom of folks like people here my
childhood dream is a reality.
I have worked in the High Fidelity Simulation world since 1995, but the
whole time in the back ground I have messsing with my hobby. Most places I
have worked for have allowed me to keep my stuff at their place as well as
work on it when ever I want. When I worked for a Edge-Lit Panel company here
in Ft. Worth ( who also makes F-16 panels for real aircraft and all kinds of
flight simulation cockpit control panels) I had access to some really cool
stuff. I thought I was a master restorer ( I have restored 7 flight worthy
warbird aircraft cockpits under contract...which pays for my hobby) but at
that company I learned the fine art of Edge Lit Panel restoration. I also
got just about any panel I needed, so needless to say I was thrilled every
day when I showed up to work.
I now run the simulation division of the company I work for right now, and I
have access to the CAD/CAM machine heaven of your dreams..and my boss is an
airplane nut as well. So yes, I have connections due to persistance, but
lots of folks on this fourm do too, and gettign to know folks like Marv and
others is just one more way for me to be connected. I have a real Block
40/50 F-16 Grip and Force Transducer to use in the cockpit I am going to
build, but I am now convinced I am going to buy one of Marv's for my sim
since its ready to fly- plug and play, and it will bolt right into the
adapter as shown in Marv's picture. I think Marv is great becuase not only
does he bring his Honeywell experience into this forum, but he offers
extremely high quality work that shows his love and attention to detail...AT
A LOW COST! I think all of us get that work ethic. We are all proud of what
we do and the countless hours we put into our hobby. I dont know why my wife
puts up with the hours I spend with my "other babies" and me dragging home
another boat anchor ejection seat. ( she has helped me carry in from the
truck ejection seats while pregnant!)
I see people every day who do not have access to a machine shop like I have
access to, doing the most incredible things on this site. I used to have to
just do it on pure will alone, I found ways around not having the tools,
paint, parts I needed.
Trust me, I read every thread on here, as I know alot of the Falcon stuff is
going to be very applicable to what I want to do with the full up F-16
cockpit I am going to be putting together. I was lucky enough to have been
intimately involved in the design and manufacture of 13 MLU F-16 simulators
for Thompson Training and Simulation ( now called Thales) and also four
other F-16 variants for US simulation customers like Link ( then called
Raytheon, and before that Hughes Training and Simulation) we provided all
the cockpit control boxes and displays, warning lights and trim for these
cockpits. I got to fly in many F-16 simulators and I still really enjoy
getting to do that. Every time that I do get into something neat, it
inspires me to make my own stuff as close as I can to the really cool high
end stuff. I am spoiled into using real parts, but when forced I make
acurate replicas. I am so impressed by the parts I see people make on
here.The best thing is people here share thier ideas and the technology
grows and grows. The main reason I never had a computer until 1997 was that
the graphics seemed so shitty to me that I held my nose at the thought of
playing a game on one. Then I saw what they were begining to be capable of
and I was hooked. They have come so far since 97, I remeber being proud of
my (then) new PII 233 mhz computer with its Voodoo II graphics card...LOL I
thought I had the shit, now I cant keep up fast enough, and I actually like
that. The technology just gets better and better...the thought of a PC
having enough power and speed to run my extrememly complex F-111 cockpit
blows my mind. My challenge to you all is to keep the ball rolling and
pushing the software folks to make thier stuff do even more...we all reap
the benifits.
As for anyone in or near where I live, I try to share what I have and have
access to. I am these days very busy at work and dont have too much time,
but its my goal not to let projects sit un-worked on due to high workload
like I did a few years ago. I should have joined SIMPITS years ago, but I
was just so damn busy.
Once again..I apologize for my long rant, but I rarely have the energy to
type long messages on here so when I do I cant shut up! Thanks for listening

Chris Woodul