[simpits-tech] to MARV re: RP

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:02:52 -0400

Lead and pewter are things to avoid.  Not only are they too soft, they are
very toxic materials.

For the home shop, two-part epoxies are probably the way to go.

There are a lot of good quality silicon molding rubbers that can be used to
make a mold from.  That would be my bet.

As for making RP parts, they are simply not strong enough for real world
use.

Where they shine is for making example parts to check theory or, if high
enough quality, as masters for making rubber molds.  I think the latter
holds some promise.  That is where my money is at.