[simpits-tech] to MARV re: RP

Jim K. simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 13:28:09 -0600

Marv,
The quality of RP prototypes seems to rely on the machine being used and
what type of RP is being used.  There are several different RP methods and
they do produce different results.  I think you can change the quality
outcome of a part via your drawing and/or the settings in the RP machine
itself and the way you make the part is critical as well.  I.E., you have
to choose the correct orientation of the part from which to start.  I have
some RP parts here and the top final surface that was generated is as
smooth as glass but the sides have that "grain" to it.  I don't think FDM
parts have this grain to it but I'd have to check.  I just brought this all
up as an option.

hmmmmmm, thinking here:  What if you made a mold of the part via a CNC
machine and then melted lead or some type of plastic into the mold to make
your own parts???

Jim