[simpits-tech] How do you deal with temperature inside the pit?

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:36:39 -0500

Hi Albert,

A portable unit would be fine.  I had thought of suggesting this, but they
cost about twice as much as a window unit.  The picture is misleading as it
doesn't show the flex-hose that connects to the back.  The only real
difference is that the portable unit  and a window unit, is that the
portable is built to connect a flex hose duct to the back and blow the heat
somewhere else(hopefully outside).  See here:
http://www.coolestspot.com/products/coolit2000main.shtml

You could simply modify a cheap window unit($200US vs. $400US new) to do the
same thing.  Some sheet metal, a duct collar, and a flex hose (about $20US)
and you've got the same thing.  For refrigerant cooling, you're using
electricity to move the heat from one place to another and it takes energy
to do that: about 1kW to move 2kW of heat.  That means the energy to move
the heat(cool) adds heat to the room.  The heat from the compressor and fan
motor is blown out the back of the unit.  So why couldn't you just point the
flex-hose toward the window(or door)?  No changes to the window would be
required.

As far as cost, there's no free lunch (1st law of thermodynamics).  A 1 kW
unit will use about 1/2 kW per hour of electricity .  Where I live that's
about  $0.05US an hour to operate.

Craig R.