[simpits-tech] Falcon: Operation Infinite Resolve

Ido Dekkers simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 16:52:41 +0300

this is a cutout of what Eric posted on frugals forum :
I've seen in another place that they will also port it to directX8.1,
maybe we can get him to get the MFD/HUD out ?

Since this thread is aptly named, I'll go ahead and add some thoughts here.
I have to head to E3 later today, so I won't be able to respond to any
detailed questions until I get back. We've got some interviews scheduled
while at E3, so most of the information will come out there...

Falcon: Operation Infinite Resolve (OIR) is NOT Falcon V - I just wanted to
be clear about
that. OIR IS much more than Falcon 4.0 plus some enhancements - it's
actually much more.
Some areas have been improved significantly.

Falcon: OIR is a stand-alone product - it won't require the installation of
Falcon 4.0.

- A-10: not just a cockpit, but the full aircraft including HUD, avionics,
duel-engine and non-fly-by-wire control.
I've flown the A-10's FM - it's much different than than the F-16's FBW
controls :-)

- Atmospheric and aircraft turbulance.

- New campaigns and a campaign creation tool.

- Narrated ACMI - play ours our make your own.
This feature really improves the assimilation of complex flight
instruction.

- Brand new multiplayer interface and connection scheme: browse available
games and game-match;
tightly adminster games through host control.

- Oh yeah - improved MP stability ;-)

- Improved training program written by Pete and Keith - emphasis on
learning things from the ground up.

- Graphics engine improvements; while not a new graphics engine, we've
off-loaded the rendering code to the GPU -
should improve FPS substantially. I've already seen about a 5-10 FPS
improvement,
and they haven't even gotten into the meat of the transformations yet

- Plus loads more. Maybe even a surprise or two!

Oh yeah - we've started to send out some Falcon V concept art as well. Hope
that whets your appetite for a while!

:-)

Eric Marlow
aka "Snacko"