[simpits-tech] Potentiometers

Rod Dale simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 13 May 2002 19:33:07 -0700

An easy way to use linear motion on a rotary pot is to fix the body so it
can't move, connect the shaft to the chuck of a cheap carpenter's hand
drill (as if fitting a drill bit) then connect your operating arm to the
handle of the drill (the piece you turn to operate the drill). The arm can
be moved almost 180 degrees while the pot shaft will turn it's full 270
degrees or whatever it is rated at. Depending on the gearing of the drill,
you may not need to move the arm very far to get full rotation of the pot.
Rod