[simpits-tech] Marv... :)

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 2 May 2002 19:41:37 -0700 (PDT)

> > Thanks for the offer Steve, but I just have to take some time to work
> > this out in my head. :)
>
> Since I missed out on the beginning of the thread, what are you doing,
> anyway? If you just need to measure linear motion, I'd attach a rotary
> pot to a plate, stick a pulley on the shaft, and wrap kevlar thread
> around the pulley. If there's less than 360º of rotation you can stake
> the thread down or use a ball chain, strip of thin nylon, or a bazillion
> other things that are flexible, but have very low elasticity.
>
> In other words, been there, done that ;)

I need to replace the too short slide pots in my throttle assembly.  I had
mistakenly set the incorrect position for the "off" position.  I was
wiring the engine ignitor finger lifts and found out they were *ahead* of
the idle gate.  Well I lifted the lever and ran the throttle arm back.
I'm pretty sure the crunch I heard was the nyrod pulling the arm off the
slide pot. :)

Since I had under-estimated the travel anyway, I figured I'd redo it
properly. :)

g.