[simpits-tech] American Fighter Pilot

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:24:54 +1200

At 01:08 AM 3/31/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Justin
>
>Gene and myself discussed the show quite a bit today around the shop. We
>even talked a bit about the sim and the performance of the Eagle VS Tomcat.
>Were you listening in on our conversation?? If you compare specs alone the
>Eagle has the edge on the Tomcat.

Except that the Eagle has only 50% of the
optical-close-in-detection-and-decision-making hardware....

I saw a documentary from the other side of one of those engagements once...
the Tomcat drivers figured that they were outnumbered 2:1 by Eagles so they
should be about an even match.... then they would say that, wouldn't they :)

On the F4s_forever list there was a discussion about the whole 1 vs 1 who's
gonna win thing.  A couple of Marines (a driver and a RIO) telling stories
of how they won some very one sided-on-paper engagements in their
F-4's.  Basically it came down to who had the best tactical awareness. Old
age and cunning vs youth and enthusiasm they said :)  Oh and they were
talking F-4 vs F-15, F-16 etc....  Good discussion to eavesdrop on!

Sean