[simpits-tech] Off Axis collimated 'out the window' displays

Chris Woodul simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:03:29 -0500

I saw one of the huge mirror systems being made at Thales ( formerly
Thompson Training and Simulation) in Gatwick England. The material is MYLAR,
and was stretched into a perfect (computed ) parabola. The relationship of
this parabola, and the angle of it are tuned exactly to the Fogged cureved
screen that has the image rear projected onto it. The image projected for a
WIDE view usually has three channels to give a very wide image. When you do
that a very complex operation to blend the images together comes into play.
I have also watched that occour, and was very impressed.
I also got the impression that the mylar is very fragile, and you cant go
poking at it when it is done. It also must be stabilized mechanically so
that if mounted on a motion platform it wont shift due to intertia ( they
are very large)
Older simulators used individual Monitors and Collumating mirrors( which
were very heavy ) and you could see "segments" of each channel as you look
thru each window on your side of the cockpit. You could not really see out
the "other guys" windows.
( go look at an older 727 simulator and you can see this in action) Once you
have seen or flown a LEVEL D flight simulator for a newer aircraft ( 777, or
Airbus etc) you will be completely spoiled. I once flew a 4 day old CAE 777
simulator for 4 hours.....what an unbeliveable experience! The bad part of
doing that, is that it spoils you....and makes you have fantasies of winning
the lottery.
Who needs a Yacht, or a Lambroghini when you can have visuals like that???
Chris Woodul