[simpits-tech] Off Axis collimated 'out the window' displays

D E simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:45:19 +0000

I have for some time been looking into the idea of creating a mirror system
for the out-the-window view of my flightdeck.  This would involve the
construction of a custom structure/outhouse for the flightdeck and for the
parabolic style mirror.   I am designing the mirror shape on CAD & Will look
into ways of how a mirrored surface could be made. Thought about using
Mirror on a roll - with the problems of it going on to a curved surface +
joins etc. Ideally i'd want some kind of reflective coating.  Almost like
chroming? but obviously a nice cheap alternative.  I've sometimes seen a
mirror-like reflective coating on plastics - i wonder if this is an option?
  Got any Ideas?

Has anyone else on the group thought about making this kind of display?   I
think the effort would pay off, as long as the design is correct and
accurate and the build is precise. My time scale for such a project is
loooooong - long enough to get it right and  long enough to spread the
costs.  I don't want it to cost an arm and a leg - flying becomes more
tricky with only one of each.

On a cross collimated flight deck ... Does the mirror create a focal point
and if so where?

Am i correct in saying that - if you are between the mirror and the focal
point (the principle focus), the image formed is larger than the original
object, upright and appears to be behind the mirrored surface?

Here are a few websites links to look at:-

http://www.glassmountain.com/images/crewview2.jpg

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/mcintyre/vergences/optics/go_notes/go_mirr.html

http://www.opticalphysics.com/current.htm

http://www.seos.co.uk/images/products/pan/panor.pdf

Hope to hear your comments/ideas on this,
Best wishes,
Derek
d_p_e@hotmail.com