[simpits-tech] EPIC or ???

fitchett simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:10:46 -0600 (MDT)

Hey guys,

The LED displays are still very early in their life cycle.  That's why I'm
sticking with one display per Phidget.  Later, it may make sense to come
up
with a design that can control several displays, but I would like to
figure out what these displays are going to be before putting in a whole
bunch of R&D.

The first version of PhidgetLED is an 8-digit, 7 segment display, 0.56"
digits.  This will be initially priced at $25 US.  The software will
attempt to display alpha, but there is only so much you can do with seven
segments.  This displays may be available by the end of the week.

Also in the works are an 8-digit, alphanumeric display, 0.4" digits.
Pricing will be about the same.  The software interface is identical.

The newest device in prototype is an 8 or 12 digit dot matrix led display,
0.2" digits.  These are a little more expensive. ??

Chris referred to a 8*8 led driver.  This will be used to drive up to 64
leds.  You can set up a scanning matrix, or run 2 wires to each led.  I'm
undecided whether to make this a 64 output InterfaceKit or a PhidgetLED.
Just a software issue.  This is also fairly cheap; $20-$25 US.

Chester