[simpits-tech] EPIC or ???

Chris Brace simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:25:14 +1200

Steve,

Your right, each display is 8 x 7seg units, the cool thing is they will
display both alpha and numeric, of course the alpha is a little coarse
for some letters.
My code currently displays "C1 118.45" for Com1, and "N1 121.40" for Nav
etc.
The price is not yet confirmed by Chester, and so I don't want to
speculate on what the pricing will be. I think they they will be cheap,
especially when compared with doing it the EPIC way, which while very
flexible would be much more expensive, not to mention complex for those
not into code cutting. As an option, Chester is working on a 8x8
display, from a single connection. Details of this are so far in
prototype and I have not got one to play with yet, but this would mean
you could do ALL the work you want in a single connection, and some
rather simple code.
Hell, my code could easily drive a display like this, its very simple.

I also have a Phidget rotary encoder, a single encoder per connection.
The encoder has a push button on the shaft, and so in my application I
rotate the shaft to change the man frequency, and push and rotate the
shaft to change the minor frequency adjustment. Again the code is very
simple, but you'll need a few to make your radio's work. Again the price
of these is not yet sret, but Im sure they will be very cheap each,
since there is very little on them.

The other option that is being worked on down here, is by Stuart
Wheelan, his solution is serially driven, and does a hell of a lot more
from a single package. Pricing for those of you in the North hemisphere
will be incredibly cheap since the New Zealand dollar is worth so little
up there. Stu can post more details if hes around, its his baby not
mine.

Anyway, I'll see if Chester has some confirmed pricing on the display
and encoder, and let you all know.
I'll also get the digital camera out and record some video of it in
action soon.

Cheers
Chris