[simpits-tech] 3d outside views?

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:10:09 -0400

--=====================_1331938==_.ALT

hi, steve.

i enjoyed that space station movie, too. it really had the finest in 3-d
technology. i still have the M&M i grabbed off the screen ; ' )

some thoughts on 2-projector 3-D - MSFS theoretically supports lots of your
requirements. i would guess the ability to "slide the viewer" left or right
a click or so might give you the necessary separation provided by your eyes
- it's subject to their accuracy of modeling the world.

you could probably render 2 outside views on the same machine. a dual-head
card will supply 2 VGA outputs which could be connected to two projectors.
slow, but (possibly) STEREO.  i don't think it would be possible to keep
two separate computers in the precise lock-step required for stereo imaging.

i don't know where you find polarizing lenses (and how they would integrate
into your projection system), but it seems everything is findable via the web.

a much more operable, working today, and faster solution would involve
those e-dimensional glasses with a CRT-type projection system. you just
have to make sure the projection system will be able to accept the way
e-dimensional mangles the signal.

http://www.edimensional.com/

i would kill to see the above system in action, and it's really fairly
affordable if you shop ebay for the older projection systems.

  - adm -

At 06:32 AM 7/29/02 -0500, you wrote:
>A couple of weeks ago we watched the space station IMAX movie and I had
>a thought. How about setting up 2 viewpoints about 4" apart in the
>software and projecting each through polarized lenses, each shifted 90
>degrees from the other, then wearing glasses with polarized lenses
>shifted the same way? That's how IMAX does it, it works fairly well, and
>nothing special would be needed other than twice as many projectors. Has
>anyone tried this yet?
>
>If my wallet can handle it I might have to try it. I've decided to build
>a somewhat generic 2 seat bastard child of an A320 and CRJ for myself
>using X-Plane (since I have it ;) and 2 or 3 computers, 3 monitors in
>the panel, and possibly as many as 6 monitors/projectors outside. This
>should be entertaining...
>--
>Steve
>lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/
>Jesus saves, Budda enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice
>sandwich.
>page.  Thanks!

----------

Alan D. Mazurka                    Webspace Design & Implementation
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_1331938==_.ALT

hi, steve.<br><br>
i enjoyed that space station movie, too. it really had the finest in 3-d
technology. i still have the M&amp;M i grabbed off the screen ; '
)<br><br>
some thoughts on 2-projector 3-D - MSFS theoretically supports lots of
your requirements. i would guess the ability to &quot;slide the
viewer&quot; left or right a click or so might give you the necessary
separation provided by your eyes - it's subject to their accuracy of
modeling the world.<br><br>
you could probably render 2 outside views on the same machine. a
dual-head card will supply 2 VGA outputs which could be connected to two
projectors. slow, but (possibly) STEREO.&nbsp; i don't think it would be
possible to keep two separate computers in the precise lock-step required
for stereo imaging.<br><br>
i don't know where you find polarizing lenses (and how they would
integrate into your projection system), but it seems everything is
findable via the web.<br><br>
a much more operable, working today, and faster solution would involve
those e-dimensional glasses with a CRT-type projection system. you just
have to make sure the projection system will be able to accept the way
e-dimensional mangles the signal.<br><br>
i would kill to see the above system in action, and it's really fairly
affordable if you shop ebay for the older projection systems.<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm -<br><br>
At 06:32 AM 7/29/02 -0500, you wrote:<br>
the space station IMAX movie and I had<br>
a thought. How about setting up 2 viewpoints about 4&quot; apart in
the<br>
software and projecting each through polarized lenses, each shifted
90<br>
degrees from the other, then wearing glasses with polarized lenses<br>
shifted the same way? That's how IMAX does it, it works fairly well,
and<br>
nothing special would be needed other than twice as many projectors.
Has<br>
anyone tried this yet?<br><br>
If my wallet can handle it I might have to try it. I've decided to
build<br>
a somewhat generic 2 seat bastard child of an A320 and CRJ for
myself<br>
using X-Plane (since I have it ;) and 2 or 3 computers, 3 monitors
in<br>
the panel, and possibly as many as 6 monitors/projectors outside.
This<br>
should be entertaining...<br>
-- <br>
Steve<br>
lt1_z28@swbell.net
Jesus saves, Budda enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice<br>
sandwich.<br>