[simpits-tech] 3d outside views?

LT1_Z28 simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:26:09 -0500

Alan D. Mazurka wrote:

> i enjoyed that space station movie, too. it really had the finest in
> 3-d technology. i still have the M&M i grabbed off the screen ; ' )

It wasn't as good as the last one we saw, something underwater, but it
was still good.

> some thoughts on 2-projector 3-D - MSFS theoretically supports lots of
> your requirements. i would guess the ability to "slide the viewer"
> left or right a click or so might give you the necessary separation
> provided by your eyes - it's subject to their accuracy of modeling the
> world.

X-Plane will do it easily since you can send all the different views to
different computers, but I can probably get away with running it all off
the main computer since it's a 1.2 ghz. I'd just have to throw in a
GeForce twinhead (I have one now, but one head is only TV out).

> i don't know where you find polarizing lenses (and how they would
> integrate into your projection system), but it seems everything is
> findable via the web.

Edmund's Scientific has 'em. Not too hard to find. Even good camera
shops will have them with the filters.

> a much more operable, working today, and faster solution would involve
> those e-dimensional glasses with a CRT-type projection system. you
> just have to make sure the projection system will be able to accept
> the way e-dimensional mangles the signal.
>
> http://www.edimensional.com/
>
> i would kill to see the above system in action, and it's really fairly
> affordable if you shop ebay for the older projection systems.

They work great, but they should come with a large bottle of Advil, too.
Shutter glasses are notorious for causing headaches with extended use. I
flew a trip from IAH to VPS (Houston to Ft. Walton Beach, FL) and a trip
from HOU to DFW to IAH last night. Total of about 3 hours in front of
the machine (started in bright and sunny, ended in rainy, miserable
HELL!). I would have been hurting in a big way.

For the time being I'm going to worry about getting the controls off the
keyboard, then enclose it all, then the visuals. And I have to work on
this during while glue dries on another large project ;)
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/