[simpits-tech] G-Suit

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:27:13 -0500

Chris,

The information I have is for the Combat Edge system.  Since the speed
jeans are the same, this may be applicable for non-CE equipment.

Max G-Suit Pressure = 11 psi @ 9G
G-Suit inflation starts @ 1.25 - 1.5 G

It is a linear function of G-Suit Pressure vs. G Force.  That is, the
formula should yield a strait line for pressure on a graph as the G
force builds from min to max.

The Combat Edge Mask and pressure Vest work in a similar way.  At
minimum G (1.25 to 1.5G) additional pressure is added to the oxygen in
the mask linearly until it reaches a maximum of 1.2 psi (above ambient)
@ 9 G.

If you try to build a CE system be very careful about over pressure with
the mask!  The 1.2 psi max is enough to require additional work to
exhale.  The pressure vest and mask work together to balance the
pressure force between what is in the mask (forced into your lungs) and
what is in the vest (squeezing of your chest).  At the same time a
bladder in your helmet will inflate and force the helmet back and the
mask onto your face for a better seal.

The system should react very quickly.  I don't know the exact latency
time requirements, but it should be measured in milliseconds, I presume.

The air pressure used for the G-Suit is generated by an on-board rotary
compressor and regulated electronically.  The oxygen supply for the CE
system is controlled by the O2 panel which is updated from the old F-16
style that you see on eBay.

Obviously, there are safety systems as well, but I don't remember how
they operate.

Marv