[simpits-tech] G-Suit

c.vanlierop simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:23:20 +0100

Hi,

> Actually, Chris, I don't think the volume measure will do you any good.

I think it is important to know in terms of knowing what kind of
compressor(volume) you need and the type/size of the valves needed to fill
the pants in the appropriate time...

> What's important is being able to measure the pressure that goes into the
> suit - under heavy G, that could be significantly more than you'd be
> comfortable with in a static cockpit.  Since normal atmospheric pressure
is
> 14.7 psi, perhaps shooting for 20 psi at max fill would be enough.  Thing
> is, you need to be able to adjust that value to suit.  You're only
> simulating the discomfort here, so a little will go a long ways, methinks!

That's right. It doesn't have to be quite as discomforting as in real life,
but some idea in what kind of numbers I should think would be easy... With
that info I hope to be able to let some 'experts' advice me on the equipment
I'm gonna need (type of compressor, valves, pressure sensors etc...)

What I really want the pants to do in the end is give me a fysical
'reference' to the fact that I'm pulling G's in the sim, so it doesn't have
to be realistic in terms of the actual pressure involved but it should be a
scaled down version of the real thing.

I'm also planning on adding inflatable cushions in the seat that inflate to
simulate g-forces (although together with the speed-jeans that could prove
overkill ;) and acceleration....

groetjes,
Chris "SpeedOne" Van Lierop