[simpits-tech] HUD question

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:05:24 -0800 (PST)

> First off, it's not likely I'll be building / acquiring a HUD (too complex,
> and little out it's league sitting on the hood of my C172 :-).

Yeah, but it sure would look neat.  If a 737-800 can have one, why not a
Cessna? :)

> However, there was some discussion that the main technical challenge was in
> getting the sprites on the HUD to appear at infinite focus so that the pilot
> can see both the bogie and the HUD information at the same time.

It's a function of the lenses.  If you try to actuall focus on the
lettering that shows up in the combining glass, it will be blurry.  It's
designed to be viewed as if it's "flying" in front of you.  For instance,
in the current automotive HUDs that are in the high-end luxury cars, the
HUD display looks like it's about 30 feet in front of the car.  That's how
you can process the HUD data and your "target" at the same time.

g.