[simpits-tech] HUD question

Wiebe, Alex simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:26:14 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1AF2A.FF16B510

First off, it's not likely I'll be building / acquiring a HUD (too complex,
and little out it's league sitting on the hood of my C172 :-).

However, there was some discussion that the main technical challenge was in
getting the sprites on the HUD to appear at infinite focus so that the pilot
can see both the bogie and the HUD information at the same time.

The descriptions that were presented seemed reasonable enough until I tried
a quick 'test' while driving home last night.

It would seem to me that a military pilot requires 2 good eyes before being
allowed to fly.

Sit in your car. Find some dust/dirt/water mark on your windshield and
pretend that's the HUD, now look some 'target' way out in front. Notice that
the blob on the windshield become 2 blurry blobs. I can readily see how
simple optics can correct the blurry problem, but can it (if so how) correct
the double image? As well, notice that the blobs appear on either side of
the target. How does a fighter pilot line up the sites with the target?
Surely he doesn't close one eye like a sniper using a rifle...

Just curious...

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1AF2A.FF16B510

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>HUD question</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>First off, it's not likely I'll be building / =
acquiring a HUD (too complex, and little out it's league sitting on the =
hood of my C172 :-).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>However, there was some discussion that the main =
technical challenge was in getting the sprites on the HUD to appear at =
infinite focus so that the pilot can see both the bogie and the HUD =
information at the same time.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The descriptions that were presented seemed =
reasonable enough until I tried a quick 'test' while driving home last =
night.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It would seem to me that a military pilot requires 2 =
good eyes before being allowed to fly. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sit in your car. Find some dust/dirt/water mark on =
your windshield and pretend that's the HUD, now look some 'target' way =
out in front. Notice that the blob on the windshield become 2 blurry =
blobs. I can readily see how simple optics can correct the blurry =
problem, but can it (if so how) correct the double image? As well, =
notice that the blobs appear on either side of the target. How does a =
fighter pilot line up the sites with the target? Surely he doesn't =
close one eye like a sniper using a rifle...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just curious...</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1AF2A.FF16B510--