[simpits-tech] My first lathe attempt

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:54:15 -0500

Nylon and derlin are great materials to get started with.

You can buy tooling at Enco and MSC relatively cheaply.  Look them up on the
Web.

For plastics and nylon type of materials, use a low speed setting on the
lathe and HSS (high speed steel) cutting tools.  Carbide is not necessary
and will not be sharp enough.

The secret is a sharp tool.  You can dress the tool with a honing stone if
required.

To cut narrow grooves I use a HSS cutoff blade.  It is about 0.090" wide and
I sharpen it on a grinding wheel to get the point and shape I need.  There
are some really narrow cutoff blades available, too.  I have some with an
edge width of about 0.040".

Plastics are soft and you need to make a more aggressive cut than with
metals.  I can shave off less than 0.001" at a time with aluminum, but nylon
will simply compress under the tool and must be cut to size with bigger
cuts.

I don't know what kind of tool holder Taig uses, so you may need to join a
user's group and find out what the hot setup is.  Once you know what size
tools will fit, order some tool steel from one of the two places I mentioned
and go to town.

When you move to steel, brass, and aluminum you should consider carbide
tools.  You can buy a tool holder that holds triangular carbide inserts.
These tools really are superior when cutting metal to regular tool steel.

A good cutoff blade (also known as a parting blade) with a stable holder is
important.  Cutting off metal is not easy, especially on a small lathe.
Tool stability is very important.

Then there are boring bars and other tool accessories you will need.  ;-)

Good luck!

Marv