[simpits-tech] My first lathe attempt

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:22:00 -0500

I bought a Taig lathe and am trying to turn a piston for my G-suit regulator
rig.
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/new_qev.jpg  Here's a sketch of the piston :
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/piston.jpg

I'm making it out of 1.5" Delrin rod.  I have to turn the diameter down by
0.020" and cut groves for two cup seals.  I got the lathe set up, the 1.5"
diameter rod set in the 4 jaw chuck and aligned.  I needed a "dial gage" to
get the bar aligned properly.  Not having one, I used the "gage head" LVDT
from my stick-base project and it worked great.  I used a bit that came with
the lathe(shaped like a clothes iron) to try turning the OD.  I'm sure I'm
not doing it right, but it worked OK, I've still got all my fingers. :)

The cup seal grove needs to be very smooth (15 microinches).  Anybody
willing to advise me on how to proceed?  Could I use a thin wood chisle and
grind it to the proper width, and then dial it staight in?

Thanks,

Craig R.