[simpits-tech] My first lathe attempt

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:23:03 -0600

Marv De Beque wrote:

> Plastics are soft and you need to make a more aggressive cut than with
> metals.  I can shave off less than 0.001" at a time with aluminum, but nylon
> will simply compress under the tool and must be cut to size with bigger
> cuts.

When making very light cuts in plastic for things like pistons, seals,
and other stuff that has to be tight, I turn the spindle speed up to
"dahellizat" and move the carriage very slowly.

"Dahellizat" is the speed at which the wife comes out to investigate
what on earth is making all the bloody noise, accompanied by "what the
hell is that noise?!?" This same trick used when cutting .000not much"
in stainless with a round nosed finishing tool sounds remarkably like a
turbine engine and the noise carries about 300 yards. In other words,
get ear plugs ;)

You know you're building cool stuff when the neighbors run for cover
every time you open the garage door. Now back to making an articulated
GPS mount for the Buell...
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net