[simpits-tech] Press-N-Squeal PC Board Sheets

Joseph Fagner simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 12:08:13 -0600

Hey Marv, I have used the photo etch system before on another project
unrelated to pit building.  It does work and you can get good results
but there is definitely some art to it.  I used a PCB layout designed by
someone else and could successfully make decent boards with this, but
have not myself figured out how to use any software to layout a pcb, so
that is the first hurdle is laying out the tracings.  The next is
exposing the presensitized board, pretty easy to do with a UV light.
Then you have to take off the sensitized area with the reagent.  This
can lead to problems with leaving in too long and taking off too much of
the sensitized area.  Then you have to develop it in the ferric chloride
solution.  This takes awhile but does work.

Biggest problem I had was when traces where close together, you would
some times not remove all the copper and have to go and manually scrape
it out.  If you tried developing longer to get this resolution, you
invariably etch some pads and other tracings too thin.

It does work and expect to go through a learning curve when etching but
the biggest problem/hurdle for me was making a pcb layout to transfer to
clear acetate sheet for the sensitizing step.

If anyone out there has a good easy program to use, please send the info
our way.  I have tried protel, but it was too complex for me and didn't
want to learn the whole thing for a 30 day trial software.  I'm not
about to pay $8,000 for the software

Jay