[simpits-chat] Altimeter Question

Stig Joergensen stig.joergensen at clearsky.dk
Tue Nov 4 14:31:41 PST 2003

Well the first T is also transistor, that gives
transistor-transistor-logic. the other type is CMOS (Complementary Metal
Oxide Semiconductor) which in fact is also a transistor

The main different between TTL and CMOS is its high/low state:

Say a device (Chip) is running at 5v, TTL will need atleast 2v to be
recognised as high where CMOS require 4v - can remember the low end
otomh (0.7v vs. 0.2v i think)

furthermore a transistor is current driven as Ben said but thats not the
hole story you need to know. Transistors is also a amplifying thingy
(symbol Hfe IIRC), this means that the current that can be driven
through emitter/collector is function of Vfe * current on basis

Take a standard BC547B transistor is have a Hfe of about 200 and can
drive 100mA, this means it only needs 100/200 = 0.5mA on its basis to be
fully opened.

One more thing about transistors - they come in two forms PNP and NPN -
think of each letter as Positive or Negative and the middle letter
states when it is fully opened eg. PNP will open more the closer you get
get to ground (0v, negative) where as NPN will open more the further
away from ground you get... (thats not entirely correct, but i cant
describe it better)

then there is saturation voltages and other stuff which i don't know
enough about to make any intelligent notes about and ive been rambling
for way too long now, so ill be getting back to my hole now....

/Stig