[simpits-chat] Tech...

Brian Sikkema simpits-chat@simpits.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:51:56 +0000

>1. I've *never* had a configure & make fail for any reason other than >my
>lack of RTFM.
Lucky you! I have. Maybe every program I've tried to install in linux has
been a complete pile of crap, but I've read manuals backwards fowards and
upside down that didn't help me a damn bit.

>2. If you don't have root access (su), you should try installing >software
>on that machine anyway.  It's not yours. :)
Erm, shell access? I'm currently running a mud on a host company, by default
the computer isn't mine, but I'm using it to install software and run it.
Also my shell at school, I'm allowed to use programs on that as well.

>FYI, Borland Kylix (Delphi & BCB++ Linux) comes with a very nice
>?>installer and worked as expected on a system (Mandrake) that wasn't on
> >the "approved" list.
Again, lucky you. I've never used these programs, I'm sure they work great.
I can't off the top of my head think of any linux software I've worked with
that had an installer of any sort. So aparently you're just a lucky bastard,
because I read the install instructions carefully for every bit of software
I've ever used in linux, because I know I won't even be able to begin if I
dont. I try to get the dependencies squared away every time. And I've still
had problems up the ass. I still have linux on my computer, and I still use
it for some things, but it takes waaaaaay too much time and energy to use it
as my everyday OS. Besides, I watch movies too often, and I'm not about to
try to get a movie player working again, that already killed too many brain
cells.

Brian